picture courtesy of www.kriyayoga.com
SAYOTE, CHAYOTE in English or known as Sechium Edule- an edible plant just like melons, cucumbers and squash.
Chayote- pronounced roughly as “chy-O-tay”
* Does not need to be peeled
* Can be eaten raw in salad
* It can be boiled
* It can be stuffed
* It can be mashed
* It can be baked
* It can be fried or pickled
* Both the fruit (vegetable) and the seed are rich in amino acids and vitamin C
* The leaves and fruit have diuretic, cardiovascular and anti-inflammatory properties.
* Tea made from the leaves has been used in the treatment of arteriosclerosis and hypertension and to dissolve kidney stones.